Former Sumiton police officer's death under investigation | News
SUMITON, AL (WBRC)- The Walker County Coroner's Office confirms that a former Sumiton police officer was found dead in his home today.
Chris Daughtery, 24, was pronounced dead on arrival. Police officers notified the coroner around noon on Friday, Aug. 17 of Daughtery's death.
A cause of death for Daughtery has not been released. The coroner says it's under investigation.
Sergeant Steve Jarrett, a spokesperson for the ABI, told FOX6 News by email that in August the Sumiton Police Chief requested that the ABI investigate allegations of misconduct within the force.
Jarrett wouldn't confirm that the allegations involved Daughtery, but did say all of the ABI's finding would be turned over to the Walker County District Attorney for review.
Sumiton Police Chief Terry Burnett told FOX6 News that Daughtery had been on the force for five years. He started in dispatch before training to become an officer.
Copyright 2012 WBRC. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Bibb Co. coach says losing 16-year-old player like a punch in the gut
- Jemison grade schooler wins Iron Bowl tickets in reading contest
- Man, 23, killed in wreck near West Blocton
- Clanton PD says efforts have reduced I-65 wrecks by 23 percent
- All lanes of I-65 in Chilton County reopened near mile marker 222